Chiffon Cardigan Free Pattern in Spring Spree

June 23, 2015

I don't know about you but I'm more than ready for this winter to be over. Don't get me wrong I get excited at the prospect of an impending snow storm but what I really want is to go outside without a jacket. To wear breezy clothing and to smell the spring air.
When I saw this material at Hancock Fabric I immediately knew what it was destined for- this lovely, loose, delicate chiffon cardigan. Great for a dainty coverup and SO STINKIN' EASY TO MAKE. 
I'd say you could make this cardigan in just an hour if you're good at cutting chiffon. The hardest part of this cardigan is cutting the chiffon. Seriously. That's it. The whole pattern is just two pieces. The body and the sleeve. Just under one yard of fabric used. You could probably try this pattern out with some left over chiffon in your stash just to see if it works for you.
I love how this cardigan is long yet delicate. It helps to avoid the frumpy look that you can sometimes get with long cardigans. It's so breezy you could even wear this in the summer, especially in the evenings.
I added the bauble fringe to the edges. I think it helps define the shape of the cardigan. If you simply used chiffon it might look a little too invisible. I also love how this cardigan looks while you're standing in sunlight. So romantic. It's just a shame I could take some outdoor pictures so you could get a good look at how gorgeous it looks in the sun.
Here's the free pattern:
Copy Shop Free Pattern
Materials:
1 yard of chiffon
4 yards of trim

Tutorial:
I'll be adding the photos tomorrow. For now, if you think you figure it out sans photos give it a whirl.

Lay your pieces out on your fabric and cut. Since you are working with chiffon you might want to make french seams so the raw edges don't fray. If so just add 1/2" to your shoulder seams and sleeve seams.

Sew your shoulder seams together. You must also seal the raw edges. Otherwise they'll fray. One way is to do a french seam. You can also either serge or zig zag stitch the raw edge. French seam is probably the cleanest and prettiest and since chiffon is so see though you want your insides looking as good as your outsides. 

If you are using chiffon I STRONGLY recommend finishing your edges. If you don't you're going to get frays IMMEDIATELY even if you are using a trim. I also do not recommend using twill tape or anything else to finish your edges. It will make the edges of the cardigan stiff and curve in funky ways. I recommend using a narrow rolled hem foot on your sewing machine and finish all the raw edges off that way.

Finish the hem of your sleeves. Use a narrow rolled hem and then add your trim if you will be using trim.

Sew your arm seams right sides together. Seal raw edges.

Sew your arm piece to your bodice. Seal raw edges.

Topstitch your trim to your cardigan.
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...